Pico de Gallo is a traditional Mexican ‘fresh salsa’ (i.e. uncooked). Here we are giving the salsa a probiotic kick. This not only brings up the flavour, it melds them together with a tangy twist AND it keeps in the fridge for ages beyond a normal pico de gallo.
The probiotic element here is the juice from your favourite sauerkraut – the active liquid will give the boost of lacto-fermentation to the mix which drops the acidity level and preserves all the goodness of the salsa. Try it out on crackers, with probiotic cheese, and a side glass of sparkling water kefir! If its too hot, serve some probiotic yogurt or milk kefir ‘sour-cream’ on the side of those tacos.
– Mortar and Pestle
-Sharp knife + Cutting board
– 1 kilo tomatoes
– 1 yellow pepper
– 1 white onion
– 1/5 head garlic (or more if you like!)
– 1/2 Tbs sea salt
– fresh or dried chili peppers
– 2tsp. dried chilli flakes
– 2 Tbs. Dried Italian spices
-Hand full of fresh cilantro
– 1/4 active vegetable brine (sauerkraut juice!)
– Feel free to add or subtract what taste, flavours, and spices to your own liking! Remember – this is all about finding your own taste! –
LET’S MAKE IT – PROBIOTIC PICO DE GALLO
- Chop tomatoes, onions, garlic, and pepper into small pieces and put in bowl
- Crush salt and dried peppers. Add all chopped and dried spices to vegetables.
- Add brine and mix together
- Put in jars and put down to make sure everything is under a liquid
- Put lid on (not too tight, so any air can whistle out as fermentation begins)
- Let sit at room temperature for 2-3 days before putting in fridge.
- There will be many bubbles, and probably juice leaking out, so put a plate underneath.
- Enjoy and use up within the next 2 months!