Pico de Gallo is a traditional Mexican 'fresh salsa' (i.e. uncooked). Here we are giving the salsa a probiotic kick. This not only brings up the flavour, it melds them together with a tangy twist AND it keeps in the fridge for ages beyond a normal pico de gallo.
The probiotic element here is the juice from your favourite sauerkraut - the active liquid will give the boost of lacto-fermentation to the mix which drops the acidity level and preserves all the goodness of the salsa. Try it out on crackers, with probiotic cheese, and a side glass of sparkling water kefir! If its too hot, serve some probiotic yogurt or milk kefir 'sour-cream' on the side of those tacos.
- Mortar and Pestle
-Sharp knife + Cutting board
- 1 kilo tomatoes
- 1 yellow pepper
- 1 white onion
- 1/5 head garlic (or more if you like!)
- 1/2 Tbs sea salt
- fresh or dried chilli peppers
- 2tsp. dried chilli flakes
- 2 Tbs. Dried italian spices
-Handfull of fresh cilantro
- 1/4 active vegetable brine (sauerkraut juice!)
- Feel free to add or substract what taste, flavours, and spices to your own liking! Remember - this is all about finding your own taste! -
Let's Make it - Probiotic Pico de Gallo
1. Chop tomatoes, onions, garlic, and pepper into small pieces and put in bowl
2. Crush salt and dried peppers. Add all chopped and dried spices to vegetables.
3. Add brine and mix together
4. Put in jars and put down to make sure everything is under a liquid
5. Put lid on (not too tight, so any air can whistle out as fermentation begins)
6. Let sit at room temperature for 2-3 days before putting in fridge.
7. There will be many bubbles, and probably juice leaking out, so put a plate underneath.
8. Enjoy and use up within the next 2 months!